Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I Finally Got Nailed...

I quit using virus protection about four months ago. The AVG scanner that we bought takes foEVer to get scanned and allow the use of a program like Internet Explorer. I finally just took it off. The performance increase was well worth the risk... I thought.

Now my computer has been seized by a phony virus protection service that wants me to send my credit card info in order to start their scan (scam). I'll have to take the machine in to get it cleaned up.

Does anyone out there have a decent virus protection program that doesn't slow down the response time to a snail's pace? I appreciate the info!

5 comments:

Martin said...

I've found that there is no virus program that is perfect. Every single one I've had, whether paid or free, has let things through. I just don't see any solution to this.

The one I'm using now is Microsoft Security Essentials, which comes recommended by several IT professionals. It's free. Just do a Google search on it.

Russell said...

I second Martin, I've been running Microsoft Security Essentials and SUPERAntiSpyware for a couple of years after dumping Norton, so far so good.

Anonymous said...

the end of america


unfacts.org/factsforum/viewtopic.php?t=4607

J.C.B. said...

Use Ubuntu!
But if you must stick with Microsoft Windows...

Avast is pretty light but still effective, updated often and free for single users.

Microsoft Security Essentials is pretty good.

I usually recommend one or the other. And I tell them to use Firefox or Chrome instead of Internet Explorer.

Stan said...

Thanks, guys...
I'll go to Microsoft Security Essentials. And I guess I'll go to Firefox, too. Or Chrome, which I haven't tried yet.