Friday, December 2, 2011

From PZ's Place: Jake, USA, on Why I Am An Atheist:

I finally stopped praying, begging and pleading and said, “Fuck you God!” and it literally saved my life.

Growing up, I was subtly aware the way in which I observed the world was somehow off. Everything was just too loud or frightening or difficult. My daily life was filled with intangible despair and angst and the most mundane activities became an existential nightmare: Keirkegaard for kids. I was often too intimidated or lethargic to go outside, the thought of tomorrow was unnerving enough to deprive me of meaningful sleep, and what should have been good times were filled with internalized anguish that often brought me to tears. Looking back I can say that it felt like I was living in a dank subterranean realm looking up at the world, slowly being buried alive and dismembered while everyone else managed their lives and left me behind. But this was alright because I was praying to “God” and asking for “His” help and I knew eventually if I kept at it, I’d be saved.

Begging for help is a more apt description; day after day, year after year. I thought if I went to church I would be saved or at least not be punished more. I sought help from a truly compassionate, yet misguided priest and counselor who indicated I should seek solace in faith. Years went by and my symptoms ebbed and flowed. My high school years of debilitating apathy and fear were spent with very high doses self-medication (i.e., vodka for breakfast). My feigned attempt at college was met with truancy, very real suicide attempts and hospitalizations. And yet, I prayed.

At this point however, the cognitive dissonance was becoming all too apparent. So much of my life had been spent seeking help in this invisible being, yet to no avail and to the persistence of very tangible pain. Finally, after years of delusion, something clicked and I punched myself with some brutal honesty and the fear turned into anger. A subservient to this “God” is what I had been, begging and fearing for a life that was barely worth living. That night, the “Fuck you God!” night, shed my life of the false safety net that was actually enslaving me. It was perhaps the most liberating experience of my life. While still trepidatious, it gave me the kick in the ass necessary to save me. I sought professionals who based their conclusions on the rigors of scientific process. Meeting the criteria for multiple, severe mental illnesses and after years of fine-tuning management techniques, my life is virtually asymptomatic.

Even though it took me seven tumultuous years to finish my Bachelor’s, I have worked four years professionally with success I never thought possible. I’ve even started a part-time Master’s in Earth Science due to my unbounded love for anything scientific; a direct result of my deconversion and the inspiration instilled from the science-based doctors who helped save my life. When I think of the countless, cumulative, backbreaking hours spent in labs and pouring over data, hours that define entire lives that were only seeking the truth, truth that ultimately saved my life… I cry… I am so grateful. I am not of great mind and I’m not going to be known in the scientific community, but in some form, no matter how small, I’d like to contribute to the science that saved me.

I no longer direct my anger toward God because 1) I’m no longer angry and 2) there is no God. I am an atheist because in one sense it was my only choice, but it goes much deeper than that. I am an atheist because I am a truth seeker. I am an atheist because living a finite life allows me to create motivation, meaning and love – through the help of my amazing wife and family – in such a way that isn’t constrained by a “safety net.” At any rate, for old times’ sake, “Fuck you God!”
Jake
United States

Jake apparently suffered from mental issues which were not solved by prayer. He did not seek physician help until after he had rejected God. Then he found that scientific “management” could control his mental issues. The difference is black and white to Jake. If prayer is not answered with relief, then there is no God. If science provides relief, then science is the producer of wish-fulfilment, where God failed.

Summary: Jake, at roughly 25 years old, abandoned prayer for medications to help his mental issues. Rejection due to unanswered prayers and resulting Scientism.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Haha, Scientism is a bit too strong of a word here, don't you think? After two reads, I didn't find anything in this letter which indicates that he thinks the modern scientific approach holds supreme, absolute authority in all inquiries. Please show me what I missed.

While we have the luxury to view the case through the lens of any abstraction, it seems like Jake wasn't so much as concerned with wish-fulfillment as he was struggling to stay sane.

Choosing sanity and life is a pretty rational choice, no matter how we frame his story, don't you think?

Stan said...

He used this phrase:
"my unbounded love for anything scientific; a direct result of my deconversion and the inspiration instilled from the science-based doctors who helped save my life."

The term "unbounded" indicated Scientism to me. It is not necessary to reject the existence of a first cause in order to accept scientific help for malady or disease. And usually one does not fall into unbounded love with science, which has boundaries.

Yes,of course it is rational to choose sanity and life, and it is rational to choose a rational source of material support.

That is not the point. It is not rational to reject all other beliefs in the process. For example, it is not rational to expect that every or all prayers will result in being given what you want. If two conflicting requests are made, then neither could be answered; that alone negates the vending machine concept of prayer. Rather than a vending machine for providing our desires, prayer must mean something else, mustn't it?

If beliefs are to be rejected, and many are, it should be done on the basis of a rational analysis, after learning how logic and rationality work, and what they are grounded by. Not to base rejection that way is not rational, it is emotional.

zilch said...

Rather than a vending machine for providing our desires, prayer must mean something else, mustn't it?

I'm sure prayer provides comfort to those who pray, but so do placebos. As far as I know, all studies show that prayer is not answered in the real world any more than random chance can explain. If anyone has any evidence to the contrary, I'm all ears.