Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Return to Unmoderated Comments

There is an interesting take over at newscientist.com by Michael Marshall, concerning the lack of civility in internet situations. It doesn't take much insight to realize that anonymity and lack of face-to-face contact reduces the personal aspect of communication. Without body language to moderate the words of a written message, a concept can be misconstrued, very easily. Plus, the anonymity can lead to saying things that would not be said in a face-to-face conversation. The internet is an ideal breeding spot for anger and emotional aggression.

For whatever reason, the results of such aggression - incivilities such as name calling and other types of flaming - can't be allowed to take over a conversation, at least not on this website. There are sites where such things are actually the local currency. But not here. This is intended to be a rational discussion of issues surrounding Atheism, its beliefs and consequences.

I recently felt it necessary to remove incivilities from the comment box and I wound up initiating moderated comments. Now I am removing moderation, and am returning to normal, non-interfered comments... except that I will remove any incivilities individually, as they are posted.

A certain amount of anger is inevitable in even face-to-face communication; but it must be dealt with in a calm manner, restraining the urge to strike out in order to be hurtful, which is what flaming is all about.

Please feel free to post comments, to take me to task on points if you think I need it, and to join in a conversation on the issues. I have been known to admit to using inadequate and incorrect information when making a point. So, if I need it, straighten me out, civilly of course.

No comments: