Thursday, November 10, 2011

From PZ's Place: Kathleen DiRocco, USA, on Why I Am An Atheist:

I am an atheist for a few reasons. I love science, if I had my way instead of going back to school for nursing as I am now, I would be going back to be a paleontologist, preferably wanting to study the Cambrian explosion (I heart trilobites!) I also love reason and explanation of things with facts and truths as opposed to blind faith. As a child I grew up in the Catholic Church and was taught that if you were really quiet go [sic]would talk to you. Well I would sit there and be as quiet as I could get and nothing. I remember telling my sister and brother that this was stupid when I was in the sixth grade, that this makes no sense benediction, mass, the body and blood becomes him. I was being told cannibalism was awesome! As time went on, I figured that god really could not exist for many reasons, hell I was taught in school evolution and only learned about creationism in the Ken Hamm and Kirk Cameron sense was when I went to High School at Girls High. I thought these girls were insane. Who would honestly believe the Earth was 6000 years old? They would tell me how did we come from monkeys and even in high school I tried to explain the whole common ancestor thing but it was like talking to a brick wall. I refuse to a part of a hypocritical group of people such as Ken Hamm and Kirk Cameron, the oh god loves you but only if you do ABC, let’s put people to death yet lord help you if you have an abortion. Hypocrites such as these fools elect people and worship in a sense Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, Ricky Perry, George Bush, etc. Supposedly men and women of god yet since these fools really never read Jesus’ teaching, they are the opposite of what Jesus taught.

I absolutely love science. I can watch any program on the evolution of life on Earth. I also love going to places to actually see these things. My favorite places to go include the Academy of Natural Sciences, the Smithsonian, the Natural History Museum of London and also took the time to actually see Lucy, aka Australopithecus afarensis, in New York (why did it not come to Philly I will never know.) I can see the history of life on this planet in fossils, I can look up in the sky and see how vast this universe is and while I do not understand physics, I feel biology makes more sense to me anyway(I am team Biology, my sister and dad team Physics.) I own a trilobite fossil, ammonite fossils and would love one day to own a larger trilobite fossil. I think learning about Anomalocaris is more interesting than being told if I don’t sew my seeds I will go to hell. I also look at some of the smallest living things on earth and technically nonliving things. Viruses and bacteria in my opinion explain more about life on earth and how it evolved, especially since we got those fun loving antibiotic resistant strains and how viruses technically are not even living things. But trying to explain that to creationist or theists is like trying to get a two year old to understand this as well, but they are more receptive to this thinking.

I find when someone tells me they are a Christian, Jew, Muslim, etc I look at them and think how sad. Why do you need to identify yourself. I don’t go around screaming HEY look at me I Heart trilobites! When I hear those words come out of their mouths I think how it like the blind leading the blind, how a grown adult can really think that there is some old white guy sitting on a throne and that one day they will be next to him. I love challenging them by asking what makes you really think you are going to heaven? Of course they start quoting stupid crap, saying that they believe in Jeebus because of their faith, because God is everywhere etc. Well I usually say, so is oxygen, carbon, nitrogen, hydrogen, etc. I get tired of arguing at times, because I think I get more of an intelligent response from my dogs then these folks. It is a shame because I have meet some nice people of all faiths and nonfaiths.

But in the end, I am an atheist because I know that there is no god. No proof that is tangible, no concrete evidence to prove otherwise. I have known this since I was 12. I also have known that I am good without God.
Kathleen DiRocco
United States


DiRocco hearts science. Science explains things with tangible evidence, and she requires that.

She makes these points:
1. She loves science.

2. She love “reason and explanation of things with facts and truths as opposed to blind faith”.

3. Catholic rituals make no sense.

4. Evolution is true. Two year olds are smarter than Christians.

5. ”these fools really never read Jesus’ teaching, they are the opposite of what Jesus taught”.

6. She absolutely loves science. And she watches evolution programs on TV and observes evolution in museums.

7. She hearts trilobites, and she pities religious people.

8. Nitrogen is everywhere. Dogs respond better to this argument than “these folks”.

9. She knows that there is no God. ”No proof that is tangible, no concrete evidence to prove otherwise. I have known this since I was 12.”

10. She knows that she is good without God.
If you consider each of these points as an argument, followed by “therefore there is no deity”, there is only one of her points that addresses the existence of God at all, and that is #9: She knows that there is no god.

How does she come by this knowledge? There is” no tangible proof, no concrete evidence” for a deity. She has had this knowledge since she was 12.

She has succumbed, at the age of 12, to Philosophical Materialism via scientism. She is happy with this worldview and has not placed any stress on it by questioning it. In fact, she thinks that those who do not accept it are stupid, below 2 year-olds or dogs. But her claim to love facts and truth is marred by her inability to discern the fallacy of Materialism, and the Category Error of her demands for material evidence of a non-material entity.

She also has some sort of unstated ethic which allows her to know that she is good without God.

Summary: She accepted Philosophical Materialism and scientism at the age of 12, and has not questioned it. She is convinced that those ideologies are the worldviews of fact and truth.

2 comments:

Matteo said...

Note also: She knows she is good without God, and apparently this goodness includes baby killing (based on the "yet lord help you if you have an abortion" quote).

yonose said...

Hello There!

Not much to mention. Hubris is almost every time the main reason why these kind of people in general decide to criticize and ignore the source of knowledge they think -but did not take the time to deeply know of- is non-sensical.

Unfortunately and obviously, it is seen in many other human discrimination mechanisms which are out of the scope of this blog.

Atheism is not the exception, as it is once again demonstrated that the majority of people who follow this ideology tend to ignore a source of knowledge of a given context, so no serious consideration or revision is done, and then rather sneer and belittle people who does not agree for good reasons, with that very same ideology.

I don't discriminate Atheists, as I have a few relatives (near, but not as near as parents) who studied engineering/physics/anthropology, are like that and somehow influenced me to think like that at an relatively early age, but by coincidences of life, an ulterior, lenghty introspection and a bit of practical knowledge of more than two apparently opposite contexts, then discovered by my own that this Atheist ideology is even going against scientifically proved evidence, like NDEs, ESP. I know this may be a big charge for some, but I'm 100% sure I've experienced those, but I'm not able to demonstrate the whole process to do so just by posting here. It's like showing you the result of a mathematical equation with Integrals, Derivatives and Nabla Operators, without, at the same time, considering that those operations have linearity properties and are also then, vectorial subspaces and hence interoperable. Going from A to B has its reasons in between.

Some few times, the issue is as simple as tend to avoid those kind of discussions because most of the Atheists I know tend to do associations a priori, and keep their Radical Skepticism in a rather emotionally negative, zealous way.

When confronting these people, civility becomes necessary even if we don't receive it from them.

Kind Regards.