Wednesday, October 22, 2014

More Life of Muhammad: "The Affair of Muhayyisa and Huwayyisa"

"The apostle said, 'Kill any Jew that falls into your power.'

Thereupon Muhayyisa b Mas'ud leapt upon Ibn Sunayna, a Jewish merchant with whom they had social and business relations, and killed him.

Huwayyisa was not a Muslim at the time though he was the elder brother, When Muhayyisa killed him Huwayyisa began to beat him, saying, 'You enemy of God, did you kill him when much of the fat on your belly comes from his wealth?'

Muhayyisa answered, 'Had the one who ordered me to kill him ordered me to kill you I would have cut your head off.' He said that this was the beginning of Huwayyisa's acceptance of Islam.

The other replied, 'By God, if Muhammad had ordered you to kill me would you have killed me?'

He said, 'Yes, by God, had he ordered me to cut off your head I would have done so..'

He exclaimed, 'By God, a religion which can bring you to to this is marvelous!'

And he became a Muslim.


I was told this story by a client of B Haritha from the daughter of Muhayyisa from Muhayyisa himself."

From The Life of Muhammad; Ibn Ishaq with A. Guillaume, translator; Oxford University Press, 1955; printed in Pakistan.

3 comments:

Phoenix said...

A muslim's mind is different to that of other theists.Muslims understand the language of violence and bullying.Atrocities that are committed to advance Islam are seen as acts of god and proof that Allah favors muslims.

Sirat Rasul pg.676 Now there was a great commotion among B. Khatma that day about the affair of bint [daughter of] Marwan. She had five sons, and when `Umayr went to them from the apostle he said, "I have killed bint Marwan, O sons of Khatma. Withstand me if you can; don't keep me waiting." That was the first day Islam became powerful among B. Khatma; before that those who were Muslims concealed the fact. The first of them to accept Islam was `Umayr b. `Adiy who was called the "Reader", and `Abdullah b. Aus and Khuzayma b. Thabit. The day after Bint Marwan was killed the men of B. Khatma became Muslims because they saw the power of Islam.

ShadowWhoWalks said...

You guys relying on weak Hadiths and fabricated stories now, are you?

Phoenix said...

Dragon Fang

I've come across this bogus charge before.Muslims declare all the incriminating passages in the hadith as weak or fabricated and the neutral or "good" passages are sahih (authentic).Tell me,how do you determine which passages are sahih or weak?And who gave you that authority?