Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Lena Dunham Reacts

Dunham has made the further error of keeping herself lit up, and it demonstrates her irrationality:
" But I hoped beyond hope that the sensitive nature of the event would be honored, and that no one would attempt to reopen these wounds or deepen my trauma.

But this did not prove to be the case. I have had my character and credibility questioned at every turn. I have been attacked online with violent and misogynistic language. Reporters have attempted to uncover the identity of my attacker despite my sincerest attempts to protect this information. My work has been torn apart in an attempt to prove I am a liar, or worse, a deviant myself. My friends and family have been contacted. Articles have heralded “Lena Dunham’s shocking confession.” I have been made to feel, on multiple occasions, as though I am to blame for what happened.

But I don’t believe I am to blame. I don’t believe any of us who have been raped and/or assaulted are to blame. At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter what is written about me individually. I accept the realities of being in the public eye. But I simply cannot allow my story to be used to cast doubt on other women who have been sexually assaulted.

I have a certain empathy for the journalists who asked me questions like whether I regret how much I drank that night or what my attacker would say if he was asked about me. These ignorant lines of inquiry serve to further flawed narratives about rape, but these people are reacting to the same set of social signals that we all are — signals telling us that preventing assault is a woman’s job, that rape is only rape when a stranger drags you into a dark alley with a knife at your throat, that our stories are never true, and that lying about rape is a way for women to enact revenge on innocent men. These misconceptions about rape are rampant, destructive and precisely the thing that prevents survivors from seeking the support that they need and deserve."
Whoa. Stop right there.

First, if a woman is encouraged not to take steps to protect herself, that is irrational.

Second, only Dunham & Co claim that anyone says that rape "stories are never true". Straw Man.

Third, the excuse that "rape is only rape when..." as a charge against culture in general... rape culture, is false. No one says that but Dunham & Co. Straw Man #2.

Fourth, it is empirical fact that "lying about rape is a way for [some] women to enact revenge on innocent men" happens and frequently. Implying that not to be the case is demonstrably false.

It is Dunham who is irrationally saddled with misconceptions which she wants the sane world to accept as fact, even moral fact.

And now for the obligatory List Of Victimhood Categories for which she personally is Messiah:
"Speaking out about the realities and complexities of sexual assault is how we begin to protect each other. I do not want our daughters born into a world that reacts to sexual violence against women in this way. This reaction, which ranges from skepticism to condemnation to threats of violence, is something I have been subject to as a woman in a position of extraordinary privilege. So let us then imagine the trauma experienced by low-income families, women of color, the trans community, survivors with disabilities, students on financial aid, sex workers, inmates, foster children, those who do not have my visibility, my access to medical and mental health care, or my financial and legal resources. "
She, in fact, is victim of her own privilege, destined to bring salvation to those without.

But wait! She can still assert her own Victimhood:
"Since coming out as a survivor I have gone from an intellectual sense of the ways in which victims are doubted and debased to a bone-deep understanding of this reality. I hope to apply that understanding to art and advocacy. I am deeply grateful for the support I have received. I am deeply grateful that this dialogue is taking place. I am angry but I am not alone."
But of course there is more:
"Survivors have the right to tell their stories, to take back control after the ultimate loss of control. There is no right way to survive rape and there is no right way to be a victim. "
Oh sure there is. Write a book about it, accusing someone specific, say, decades later, and then be superciliously moralistic in your Victimhood/Messiahist self-righteousness after being caught out in lying. Then collect nearly $4 million, and proceed on course.

And then the coup d'grace: "survivorship" advice:
"What survivors need more than anything is to be supported, whether they choose to pursue a criminal investigation or to rebuild their world on their own terms. You can help by never defining a survivor by what has been taken from her. You can help by saying I believe you."
Here's the thing: that is unconstitutional. Plus it is just crap talk. I no longer, if I ever did, believe a single snort out of Lena Dunham. She is a child abuser, a liar, and a pervert - if only of rational, logical, thought processes. She has negative credibility when taken as a rational advocate of anything at all.

1 comment:

Rikalonius said...

I don't know if I've mentioned it here or elsewhere, or both, but I used to hate Lena Dunham. Then I saw her father's art work. As terrible corrupted as her mind is, I can see that being raised by the perversely addled mind that would produce the filth he created; no better than the vulgar doodles in a way-out truck stop men's room, meant that Lena is also a victim of liberalism.

She still needs to be challenged for her illogical, but I can't help feel a bit of sadness for red diaper doper babies like her.