Saturday, August 18, 2012

Bleah

I am in town on a borrowed hot spot. The lightening strike Thursday night rendered the phones and internet dead. It took all day Thursay to get the trouble shooting of the phone lines done, around cattle issues and town appointments and a dead tractor too. I fixed the tractor, I need it. Finally discovered that the dead phones jumped to life when the wi-fi modem was disconnected from them. The modem seems to short out the lines when it is hooked up. Went to town for a new wi-fi modem from Walmart, which didn't work back at the farm because it was ethernet both in and out. But I need a phone line input. Back to town, Walmart has no such modem/router, then over to the only other hope in our small town, just in time for Radio Shack to lock their doors in my face.

Next day, back to Radio shack. Nope. Has to be provided by the DSL provider, Century Link. Back to the Farm, half hour on the phone, and they will send out a tech on monday between 8am and 5pm. Meantime, no internet. So back to town to find a hot spot. Here I am.

So my inputs will be sparse until we regain web access at home.

2 comments:

World of Facts said...

This is quite unpleasant.
Good luck!

Steven Satak said...

yes, good luck, Stan. I am sure modern technology will eventually unravel itself and your abode will return to normal.