Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Blattafrax

I have another response to Blattafrax, here. I might have saved myself the time if I'd read his response through to the end. At the end he seems to be leaving, on this note:
"I live in the real world, not in the philosophical nightmare that you have constructed. In the world I live in, deities are not needed to explain anything and no deity has ever contacted me to explain otherwise. The conclusion is obvious."
Blattafrax claimed to be a Philosophical Materialist up front, but denied the materialist principles of PM when pressed, saying that his definition was different but never giving a clarification. What seemed a "nightmare construction" to blattafrax was this: attempting to hold him to a position of presenting objective knowledge and/or disciplined deduction for his worldview... coupled with a quantum explanation of existence. As I understand his position, there are "good enough" reasons for his beliefs, even though the reasons don't meet the standards which Atheists require of theist positions. Those standards he referred to as my "personal definitions of FACT and truth", although they are not in any sense my creation, they are universal standards for objective knowledge of material things and the pursuit of true ideas.

During my response I found that my list of quantum consciousness quotes went missing, so I had to recreate at least part of it, which I reproduce here:
“Consciousness cannot be accounted for in physical terms. For consciousness is absolutely fundamental. It cannot be accounted for in terms of anything else.”
Erwin Schrödinger

“I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.”
Max Planck

“As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter.”
Max Planck
I don't know if blattafrax will read this, but it represents the science which s/he finds to be a "nightmare construction". It is not my construction, though, it is actual, legitimate, accepted science which is expanding its knowledge of existence well beyond Newtonian and Einsteinian physics. But it is hard to accept something that interferes with one's worldview, if that worldview is a tightly held, closed ideology. In Blattafrax's case, it is a "nightmare".

No comments: